Saturday, July 18, 2009


Reese is still struggling. He is still on a ventilator. The doctor took x-rays of his lungs yesterday and today. There was improvement, but he still needed a second dose of surfactant. The doctor said that his x-ray today was consistent with either premature lungs (we know he has these) or pneumonia. The only way to tell for sure is to take a sample of lung tissue, which they are not going to do. Therefore, as a safety precaution, the doctor prescribed 7 days of i.v. antibiotics. To aid in this, they inserted a PICC line. Poor Reese never gets a break.
In addition to his breathing trouble, he also has low blood pressure and is receiving dopamine to help his blood pressure. The doctor said that he is currently "treading water." He is not getting better, but he is not getting worse. We just hope he turns a corner for the better as soon as possible.
Reese looks good whenever I see him, and I visit him the most often. The ventilator is helping with his O2 saturation and breathing rate. That, in turn, lessens his stress. It is tough to see him with all of the tubes and i.v.s, but I know that he will pull through. He just needs some more time. I will know much more tomorrow after he has a third chest x-ray. I am hopeful that we will sees signs of improvement tomorrow, but it is very difficult to wait. We have no power to help him, and I have no idea how he is feeling inside. I just want him to start getting better.


  1. Poor little guy! I am keeping my fingers crossed for him and hoping for a quick recovery.

  2. Thinking of you and praying for a speedy recovery (esp. for Reese). Your babies are so very precious... I can't wait to meet them! Let us know if there's ever anything we can do to help. Thanks for taking the time to keep all of us posted.

    Love, Robin and Todd